Saturday 13 February 2010

The continued need for pay phones

When I see that a pay phone has been removed from a place I was used to seeing it, I feel uneasy. The assumption that we've all got mobile phones and so no longer need pay phones forgets those who can't afford one, those whose mobile has run out of credit or power, those who simply don't want to own one. This intelligent article in today's New York Times focuses on a pay phone outside a Queens courthouse and so appears only to argue that there is an underclass who needs such access, but the need is greater than that, extending to the many who have lost their jobs and homes over the last couple years as well as those who can't use their mobile for one reason or another. Something to keep in mind.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carrie,
    I couldn't agree more. Another situation is places where you lose coverage, and there are lots of those on this big planet.
    I don't have a mobile at present and it drives me insane not to find public phones when I need them. But on occasion nice Canadians have actually offered me use of their own mobiles when there isn't a public one around!

    ReplyDelete