Tuesday 26 March 2013

"Various Things" from Hilda Sheehan's The Night My Sister Went to Hollywood (Cultured Llama, 2013)



Various Things
after Kenneth Koch

 
I love you, I do. It's just that
time is running out, it’s Sunday. Asda will shut soon.
Do we need rice? Cinnamon?
Look up there, where the bird used to be. Concorde!
With this, we could make a wonderful child.
Will you run me up the road?
Heaven knows, I’m miserable, now,
please put the bins out.
Remember Holborn? When you kissed me,
a train stopped and let more people on.
I love the red bits in your hair.
Shall we dust?
If you move next door, we could pretend to be lovers.
When you get back, we could put up a shelf.
You make me want to jump off a cliff.
Let’s make cheese toasties in the Breville.
In a past life, I was a daffodil.
Why did you pick me?
1987. U2? With or without you,
getting high on the smell of your John Player Blues.


 



Hilda Sheehan's first collection, The Night My Sister Went to Hollywood, is available directly from the publisher, Cultured Llama.

No comments:

Post a Comment