Friday 28 December 2012

"The Next Big Thing"

The indefatigable Sophie Mayer has tagged me in a blog game called "The Next Big Thing," where one uses a set list of questions to interview oneself about one's most recent or next book and tags others whose work s/he admires to do the same. Here I answer questions about my (presumably) forthcoming third collection, Imagined Sons; my pamphlet/chapbook The Son (Oystercatcher, 2009) provides a sample of it. Thanks for thinking of me, Sophie!



What is the working title of your book?
Imagined Sons
Where did the idea come from for the book?
It began with a prose poem I wrote in 1995, where I imagined meeting my son when he came of age. I wrote half a dozen such poems over the next ten years. 
What genre does your book fall under?
Poetry
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I think a different actor would need to play each new incarnation of the imagined son, to suggest the breadth of possibility. I'd love Christina Ricci to play me. 
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Imagined Sons explores a birthmother's consciousness through two kinds of poems: Imagined Sons, where the birthmother imagines meeting her son once he's come of age; and Birthmother's Catechisms, where the same question recurs over time with different answers. 
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
The first poem was written in 1995, but I didn't work on the series wholeheartedly until 2006 (at that point only six  "Imagined Sons" had been written). The first draft of the manuscript took the better part of a year, but I've been revising the manuscript steadily since then. 
Who or what inspired you to write this book?
The desire to explain or share my experience as a birthmother in a more immersive, less confessional poetry. 
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

I expect people who enjoy flash fiction would like the generally narrative drive of the prose poems.



The poets I'm tagging are two wonderfully imaginative, intelligent, and kind poets. Their interviews should be up within a week:
Jennifer Militello
Zoe Brigley

1 comment:

  1. Great interview. I just added you to the database: http://nathanieltower.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/the-next-big-thing-blog-hop-database/

    ReplyDelete