Monday 17 December 2012

Mary Ann Samyn's Inside the Yellow Dress (New Issues, 2001)

Here are just a few favourite passages from this impressive book. 


It is always like this.
I cannot calculate 
the hurt ahead of time.
I cannot spare myself.

                                            So I go headlong--

I go wanting.

And these flowers:

                                  how bright they are.

Dried,
             they keep their color all winter.

second half of
"Moving Away from an Event"


My mother is anger and want, a small girl.
I am a small girl too.
One of us darts in and out of the bushes.

                          The other cannot imagine her suffering.

end of "Poem with a Riddle in It"


Such a small idea and gone:
her hands in the air at dusk,

                       the sun--just a click now in the trees--

end of "Poem with Light on Its Shoulder"


I say gauzy the way you might say love, 
meaning my hunger--

          desire a net, after all,

                                             and rigged--

from "Fabric/Lyric"



Read my selections from Samyn's Beauty Breaks In (New Issues, 2009 and Purr (New Issues, 2005).


1 comment:

  1. Hello my dear friend, and I was reading your website, I just wanna say I really love it! The overall look of your website is fantastic , as well as the content! Congratulations for your amazing work ! I follow your blog (157)... Hope you'll follow me back.... I wish you Happiness and Joy… And Blessings for the New Year. I wish you the best of everything… That you so well deserve.
    Greetings from Rio de Janeiro/ Brasil
    Nelson

    ReplyDelete