Thursday 24 April 2014

Commonwealth Avenue, Boston

This morning my partner Trevor and I walked from our guest house, up Commonwealth Avenue, to Boston Common. It's a beautiful boulevard with a pedestrian-only path down most of the middle, with numerous memorials along the way.



I've seen a number of pointy top houses since I arrived yesterday. I wonder what it's like up there. 





Spring must be the time the avenue is at its most beautiful.

 




This memorial to the firefighters who died in the Hotel Vendome fire in 1972 is one of of the most moving memorials I've seen, combining the names of those who died, a timeline of events, and quotations about them. There's an article about the Hotel Vendome fire here.


1 comment:

  1. I reckon a turret would be a great place for poetry.

    ReplyDelete